by: Wayne R Johnson
Mike is your new friend who happens to be a baker, you mention to Mike that you have the perfect cake recipe. Mike knows your Birthday is coming up and offers to bake it. You give Mike the recipe and write across the top.
“IMPORTANT! Follow the recipe as written, Don’t add or leave anything out of it”
The recipe specifies the types of ingredients, the order to mix them, even what brands to use. You reiterate the importance of following the directions and Mike, agrees! While at the store Mike decides (in his mind), some of the ingredients specified are not the best so; he makes the choice to get what he believes is better for all. When Mike arrives home, he begins mixing all the ingredients together according to your directions, well almost. The directions say to mix ingredients in a certain order, but that doesn’t fit with Mike’s ideas on baking, plus, it will take longer. The recipe could use one more ingredient, so Mike adds it. He then invites your family over to enjoy this special cake. Mike is so pleased with his efforts he is grinning ear to ear, he just knows you’re going to love it.
The moment has arrived, the cake looks awesome and you and your family are finally digging in. Hmm, The cake is not moist, in fact, it’s dry. It’s bland and is not at all what you expected. You have no idea why, when you notice, the cake has nuts in it, you immediately look at your daughter and see her gasping for air and you call 911 for help.
In this scenario, you have knowledge Mike does not have but you gave him a detailed recipe with very specific instructions and said; don’t add or take away from this recipe. You had your specific reasons.
1) Mike exercised free will and did things his way, although he agreed to do them your way. Was that the right decision?
2) Were you pleased with Mike’s efforts on the cake? He did not follow your instructions. He changed things, He added things, Mike’s choice ruined your afternoon and harmed your loved ones, His intentions were good, does that matter?
3) Rather than being sorrowful and humble for not following your recipe as He agreed, Should Mike blame you, for not giving him more information?
God’s instructions were given for specific reasons, God has knowledge; we do not have, Scripture tells us God’s recipe has serious consequences if we add or take away from His Word.(Rev. 22: 18-19)
God knows what’s best for us, He cares! God is love and wants us all to take advantage of the ultimate sacrifice that was made for us and, all of mankind. He gave us both examples and commandments on how to best live our lives. On how to be “In Christ” and heaven-bound. How to show God we love Him. Shouldn’t we strive to follow God’s recipe? His will not ours be done. (John 14:15)
If we are Grinning ear to ear it should be in the joy we get from doing God’s will according to His will which does not change.
- John 3:16 , Heb 11:6, Mark 16:16, Acts 8:36-37, Acts 16:31
- Matt 10: 32-33, Rom 10:9-10, Acts 8:37
- Luke 13:3, Matt 4:17, Acts 2:38, Acts 17:30
- [Baptized (Immersed)]
- Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, 1 Pet 3:21, Gal 3:26-29, Acts 8:36-38, Acts 22:16, Rom 6:3-4
- [Live faithfully]
- John 14:15, Rom 6:4, Matt 7:21, Matt 28:20